Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Quick and Easy Spaghetti Carbonara



Spaghetta alla Carbonara's origins does not come without controversy.

Spaghetti Carbonara is a simple dish that is quick and easy to make. It is working person's go-to dish. This is a dish that busy people have in their arsenal. This dish makes people happy.

It does not surprise me that my friend Cindy sent me this recipe. Cindy is a busy woman that knows how to get things done!

In a previous blog post, I asked my friends to send me recipes that meet the following criteria:
  1. Tastes good 
  2. Easy to make 
  3. Approved by person who LOVES to cook
This recipe certainly follows the above criteria. Thank you, Cindy, for sharing.

Umami! That is why I think this simple dish tastes so good. Spaghetti Carbonara has a lot of umami, think: Parmesan cheese and bacon.  A few dashes of Tabasco adds another layer of umami. If you have not yet discovered umami, you can learn about the science behind umami here.

Wait, the bacon!

Did I mention this has bacon in it? That may be why you can't go wrong with this dish.

For busy folks who are short on time, you can put your oven on double-duty to roast the bacon while your pasta water is heating up. Grab a sheet pan with a silicon liner and add the bacon. Place the pan on the middle rack in the oven at 400 degrees and roast for about 18 mins - depending on how crispy you like your bacon.

The silicon liner is a must, if you don't want messy clean up.


Speak now, or forever hold your peas!

Whoops, Cindy's recipe does not call for peas! She certainly does not call for frozen peas! There is a heated discussion on Serious Eats, should there be peas in carbonara?


If you want to add peas, just blanch them in the hot water; before throwing in the pasta.

Sometimes, I am not good at following directions. I am not sure why I threw peas in this dish. Real carbonara aficionados would just not do this. Maybe I felt like I had to sneak in a vegetable? Or I like the contrast of the bright green color against the creamy noodles and bacon? Do I regret this? Maybe just a little.  Readers, please leave comments to let me know what you think.

Peas out, people!

Thank you, Cindy, for sending me this recipe.





Spaghetti Carbonara

Spaghetti Carbonara plated with parsley on top.

Prep 10 āˆ™ Cook 15 āˆ™ Makes 4 āˆ™ Difficulty Easy

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 lb spaghetti
  • 8 oz bacon, cooked and chopped into 1" slices
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup parmesan
  • 1/2 cup half and half
  • 2 or more dashes of Tabasco

DIRECTIONS

  1. Cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions
  2. Whisk together eggs, cheese, cream and Tabasco
  3. Drain pasta, leaving some water clinging
  4. Working quickly, add egg mix and stir as hot pasta cooks egg
  5. Add bacon, salt and pepper to taste

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home